Monday, October 13, 2008

Midterm Self-Assesment

I think this class is going well for me so far. It was a transition for me to start paying more attention to what I was doing and why at the Press because I had been there all summer and developed a routine I was happy with. Now, though, I can see how much I have improved by thinking about the fact that I will have to reflect on a project later and that I need to save work for my portfolio. At first when I would go to the Press I would do my work and leave, without really considering what I did. Now I think about what my work habits say about me and what I'm learning. I take note of improvements that I can make and actually make them, like a mentioned in my previous post witht he style sheet. The first time around it was sloppy and unorganized. It actually made work harder and stressed me out. Now that I take the time to make a detailed style sheet I'm much more efficient and confident.

I also find myself mentally putting my portfolio and poster together. I haven't actually started putting it together; however, after looking for cover art for a book, I'll think "I should save this to display on my poster," and I'm thinking of using some of my notebook "style sheet" as a comparison to my more organized one in my portfolio. Planning this far ahead for a big project used to be something I had a hard time with. I know there's a lot more I could be doing, but just having it on my mind all the time is a change for me. This is actually reassuring and doesn't feel stressful like I thought it could. Before I had more of a "I'll worry about that when I need to" mindset, but having on my mind is actually causing less worry. Now, I'm confident that when it comes time to do the project I have ideas and work to present. Because my planning stage is usually my longest stage, it's nice to be able to take this whole semester in planning rather than trying to hurry and plan closer to the due date.

Something I need to become better at is checking my blog more often. I try to get on once a week to write a post, but then I don't get anyone's responses until then. I also can't respond to people until a few days after they've done really well or asked a question. I've never blogged before this class, so this is not part of a natural routine for me. However, I do have a small list of sites that I check daily. I'm going to start making time in my schedule to check this more often and read at least two other people's on a daily or every-other-day basis. I think if I can make it part of my routine it won't even feel like an assignment I have to do.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Let me start by saying Good Luck with the job you're applying for! That's really exciting.

After reading your post I realized that I have been doing the same thing so far. Without even thinking about it I'm keeping track of what needs to go in my portfolio. It's not even work to me; I keep all my work together, but it's because I'm excited that I actually have work to display! But yea, I guess I am preparing for my portfolio and poster, too. I used to be, well I still am, a procrastinator. I will usually wait until the last night to do something. I've started getting better with it since I've been at my internship, but I still do it for school work. As for keeping up with your blog, I know how you feel. It's a good idea though to fit it into your routine like you mentioned. Then you just do it without even thinking.

Scott Wible said...

Great work here. It's clear from your examples and your explanation in paragraph one about how you're developing as a reflective learner, which is an important quality to possess a Professional Writer. I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about the portfolio as you work on and complete various projects; it seems as if you're beginning to develop a clearer image of how you want to present yourself in your portfolio. And you raise an important point in the last paragraph. We'll discuss this week about options for "subscribing" to blogs in order to get updates when new material is posted.