Last week I got to do something new for me. Instead of continuing with the book I've been working on, my boss asked me to look for cover pictures for a novel the Press is working with. I wasn't sure where to look for pictures online and how getting the rights to them would work. I decided to avoid problems like last time and just ask and found two sites (flickr and istockphoto) that are usually easy to get pictures from. This job was a little intimidating to me because I've never really considered myself very creative. I worried that all the possible pictures I found would be completely wrong for the book. However, once I got started I realized I really liked doing it. I started to get a feel for what would look good on a book cover and what wouldn't. For example, a picture might be great, but if it is too busy it could be hard to add a title and author and still make it look appealing. I ended up being very excited about the options I came up with. I don't know if they'll be used, but I have a great collection to keep for my portfolio/poster.
I also learned how to write inquiry emails to people who had photos we were interested in using. The Press doesn't have a standard way to do this, so I learned by writing what I thought would be good, sending it to my boss, and then using his comments to correct my original. By the second email I was able to use my version with just minimal corrections.
It was nice to have a break from editing. I love to edit, but doing this work let me learn some of the other steps that go into getting a book made. I had a lot of fun last week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm glad that you got the opportunity to do some of this image searching; should you choose to talk about this work in your final portfolio, you could probably expand your discussion of the criteria you started with and how you refined this criteria as you moved through your search and identified some good options.
Does the WVU Press have access to any image databases that are made expressly for this type of purpose? I seem to remember a past intern, Alison Sanfacon, using one to locate cover images for a book.
Post a Comment