This will be the fourth portfolio I’ve had to do for a class at WVU. Though I’ve done them before, I think each portfolio is different because of the variety of materials that goes into each one and the different purposes they are created for. The last one I did was for Technical Writing and used these books, so I am familiar with this method of portfolio making. I’m interested to see if it is easier for me this time around since I’ve already had some practice at it. However, because this is a different class with a different purpose, I’m expecting that there will be new challenges. I’m confident that this portfolio making experience will be better than my first two. My first portfolio was for Advanced Composition, and it was very stressful for me. I remember creating the portfolio at the end of the semester wondering how I was supposed to start analyzing what I had done throughout the semester right then. Looking back, I think if I had made my portfolio a semester-long project like this method does, I would have had a much easier time.
The idea of a blog for this semester interests me. I’ve never kept one before, and I’ve never been a person that keeps a journal or diary. However, I do like to tell my friends and family all the details of my day. Hopefully this blog will be another way for me to work through problems and share good experiences. I’ve worked at the WVU Press for about three months now, but I run into new challenges every day, so I should have plenty to write about. I think the poster presentation will be a good challenge for me. I always get nervous speaking in front of people, so this will be a good balance of presenting in a professional setting without it having a public speaking, speech-like feel. I think the one-on-one setting of me speaking to people interested in my poster will allow me to be more relaxed. I’m a little unsure about the kinds of documents that I will include in the poster presentation and my portfolio since my work is mostly editing, not writing. However, I know other people have interned at the Press for this class, so I think it will work out fine. Overall, I’m excited about the course. I love working at the Press so far, and I’m interested to take this semester and really focus on what and how I learn while I’m there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Great discussion here. I especially appreciate your openness to the fact that each portfolio-making experience will be different as your purposes and your writing projects change and your understanding of the PWE field and your own awareness of your strengths, weaknesses, preferences, and learning strategies change.
Post a Comment